Chef Diane Hagedorn came up with this simple root vegetable recipe that's perfect when you want a winter holiday dish without any muss or fuss.
Large Rutabaga (peeled and cubed)
Small Celeriac (peeled and cubed)
Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
Large Sweet Potato
Large Onion (diced)
Earth Balance Buttery Spread
Vegan Creamer and Butter of choice for mashing
Parsley to Taste (chopped)
Fresh Dill to Taste (chopped)
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper (to taste)
*As included in For Goodness Sake Cookbook
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and bake sweet potato until soft enough to allow insides to be scooped out.
2. One vegetable at a time, boil rutabaga, celeriac, and Yukon Gold potatoes in a medium pot of salted water. Drain each vegetable and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons Earth Balance in a pan and sauté diced onions till translucent. Remove from heat.
4. Place sautéed onion in a large bowl and add in boiled vegetables and scooped insides of sweet potato. (Do not use the skin.) Mash all vegetables together by hand with a potato masher. Add vegan creamer and butter to taste.
5. Season with chopped dill, parsley, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste.